Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza

I've got a big paper due for a graduate class on Tuesday, and I've already frittered away too much time window-shopping online at all my favorite stores. So I've finally put down my current books (Deluxe: how luxury lost its luster, The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian, and On my own: the art of being a woman alone) in favor of WORK.

Here's a great picture book to amuse you in the meantime--it's long been a favorite of mine and the children I know. It's the perfect way to introduce them to a familiar tale but with modern details. All the animals live in the city, and so the story unfolds amidst sidewalks, fire hydrants, and laundry hanging between the buildings. The little red hen treks to the hardware store, grocery store, and the delicatessen for everything she needs, but by the end of the story, her request for help with the dishes is met with unanimous "I will"s from the other animals. Very cute, and wonderful paper collage illustrations.

No comments: