Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween

In honor of the holiday, I went to work as Professor McGonagall. Long black dress, high necked white lace camisole under the dress bodice, a giant silver pin at my throat, a black witch's hat, skinny wire-rimmed reading glasses and a wand. Most of the children knew immediately who I was, and the rest knew when they saw the "reference librarian" sign on my desk changed to "Deputy headmistress, Hogwarts."

After work, I put my hat in the passenger seat and headed toward the Ben Franklin Bridge. As I was waiting for the tolltaker to give me change, he looked at my puritanical attire and chuckled.
"What are you dressed as, a librarian?"
I started laughing and couldn't stop. "You have no idea how...my day job..."
"What's your regular job?"
"I'm a librarian!"
"No!" His eyes widened in shock and embarrassment. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."
I reassured him that really, it was ok, and then, still laughing, I headed back into traffic.

No comments: