Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Naturally Clean Home: 150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning

I love this book. When my partner and I moved into a new apartment this summer, I tried at least a dozen of the recipes in the deep cleaning I did that first month--hardwood floors, window blinds, window glass, dishes and more. I found these homemade cleaning solutions effective and their odor innoxious--a far cry from the terrible headaches I get from most hard-core commercial cleaners and air fresheners.

When I first got the book, I read and reread it, trying to absorb the specifics of each recipe--this one for laundry, this one for counters, and so on. In reality, I found that once you're comfortable with the properties of the ingredients (borax, vinegar, baking soda, essential oils), it's not essential that you follow the recipes to the letter. You can start to improvise with what you have around the house and what scents you enjoy.

No comments: