Sunday, October 3, 2010

Heart of the Matter

Giffin does it again. My favorite of hers is still Love the One You're With, but Heart of the Matter is just as real, empathetic, well-written and often painful as her other books. This one addresses the question: how does an affair start? Can anyone be considered blameless in that situation?

p. 336: "Grief is a more complicated matter. It is something I can't direct at Nick, as it is also about my loss, my children's loss, the loss of our family and everything I once cherished and believed in. It has a component of fear and one of regret--of wishing I could turn back the clock and do things differently, more vigilantly guard my marriage. Be a better wife. Pay him more attention. Have more sex. Be more attractive. When the grief hits, I find myself looking inward, blaming myself for somehow allowing this to happen, for not seeing it coming at all. Grief also has a disorienting effect, offering no game plan whatsoever, leaving me only one option: to suffer there in the moment, until it is usurped by rage once again."

No comments: